...the capsule wardrobe...

3:40 AM

...
The 333.
The 37 pieces.
The minimalists wardrobe.
Add caption
Call it whatever. The idea of creating a wardrobe of versatile pieces that you love is something I have been pondering for quite some time.
Most people wear 20% of their closet, 80% of the time.
That is me. So me.
Professions often have associated wardrobes, be it accidental or expected. Suits. Scrubs. Uniforms. My prior profession allowed me to create a wardrobe of slacks, dresses, cardigans, and shells. My new profession doesn't really have a google search phase.
SAHM Mom outfits.
Mom wardrobes.
Work from home outfits.
My searches have yielded less than stellar sites and images. I really need to be told a list of "you need these items." I use to watch What Not to Wear and often wondered how wonderful it would be to have someone dress you. I would love to have someone analyze my life and dimensions and show me how to create such a wardrobe. I have also realized, with my personality, that I don't feel awake/put together unless my mornings start with a shower and getting dressed. I love the idea of wearing lounge/pjs/exercise clothing all day, but it doesn't work with my personality.
I am sure that I am not the only person to have difficult parameters with which to find appropriate clothing. I am tall. Like a 6fter, which probably doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to find items that work. Oh, but it is. All of those cute dresses that you see and sadly many of the cute maxi's are waaaaaaay to short. I am very happy sitting in my flower beds, covered in dirt, weeding. We do lots of DIY projects that involve paint/sawdust/plants/dirt/stain...you name it, I am covered in it.
I also seem to have an attachment to my clothing? Is that weird? I have items that I haven't worn since I "retired." There are only so many Masses that haven't correlated with being pregnant or breastfeeding. Many of those items aren't really that conducive to holding a squirmy baby, either. I am not sure why I keep them.
I also have a problem spending money on clothing. I have this dollar amount that I hate to every cross, which often yields items of inferior quality and fit. At the end of the day, I would rather spend less, obviously. But, if having 50 items costing X (and I really only wear a handful as they don't fit/I was desperate/I don't like) or 20 costing X yields the same number of actually worn items, am I really money ahead by buying cheaper items? I don't think so.
So...I have decided to gut my closet and start over. There are a few pieces that are worth saving/appropriate and many that don't follow the:
Surround yourself with things you love, discard the rest.
I think that could be applied to clothing, too. Why wear something that you don't feel good in? 
I do like the "3 of each" rule and I think I could make that work well. Obviously, seasons are a kicker here.
3 pair of jeans.
3 pair of shorts.
3 skirts.
3 dresses....I love to wear them to Mass, so I might do more. 
3 tank tops.
3 t shirts. More of these.
3 long sleeve/3/4 sleeve
3 sweaters.
**not counting my painting/mowing/gardening/workout garb.
I like the sound of that.
Have you done this? Do you like it?
...


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe as well, but it's just not realistic for anyone who lives with four seasons. However, I feel like I keep a pretty limited wardrobe. Buying pricier items that will hold up for years (I literally still wear stuff I bought in college!) And when I typically buy something new, I donate something old that I don't wear much anymore. Mostly to free of hanger space, but still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I think a modified capsule might fit me. Maybe, I just really need to purge as I feel like it is time. I love quality pieces!!

      Delete
  2. Many people who do capsule wardrobes actually change them for different seasons. So you don't count your sweaters in the summer or shorts in the winter, etc.

    Also, Hello! You told me about this new blog awhile ago and I finally caught a moment to mosey on over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think I will benefit from actually looking at everything and realizing what I have (and where there are holes). Thanks for stopping, Danielle!

      Delete